Paul Armstrong, vice president of Mohawk College, sent an e-mail to students on Friday morning giving an update on the strike that has already kept them out of class since Oct. 16.
“Unfortunately, a settlement has not yet been reached between the bargaining teams representing faculty and Ontario’s 24 colleges,” Armstrong said. “All Mohawk College full-time, apprenticeship and in-person continuing education courses remain postponed.”
All tests, quizzes, and assignments have been put on hold for most Mohawk College students. However, some classes in collaborative programs with McMaster University are continuing and all courses taught by McMaster faculty will remain on schedule.
Co-op students working in field or clinical placements should contact their associate dean for any questions related to a specific course or program.
“Apprenticeship courses scheduled to start next week are also on hold,” Armstrong said. “Start and end dates will be pushed back depending on the duration of the strike.”
Armstrong assured students the moment a settlement is reached and the strike ends, the students will be the first to know.
“Once we have confirmation that the strike is over, it will take a day or two of planning before normal classes resume,” Armstrong added.
The e-mail made no mention of a student petition demanding tuition refunds after Armstrong shot down the possibility of refunds earlier in the week.
“There are no plans to offer refunds,” Armstrong said. “Mohawk is focused on how we ensure that all students have the opportunity to complete their year.”